Job vacancy: Exercise Scientist
Your dream job in Exercise Science and Biomechanics awaits!
Job Title: Exercise Scientist (approx. 15-20 hours per week)
Do you have qualifications in exercise science or biomechanics and interested in using your skills to understand how people move?
If yes, then this is the opportunity you have been waiting for.
About The Biomechanics Lab
The Biomechanics Lab is a podiatry, biomechanics and rehabilitation facility in Adelaide, South Australia. We have a strong case load in orthoapedic rehabilitation, sports medicine, musculoskeletal pain and arthritis management. We are one of the leading gait analysis facilities in Australia, and the only private 3D gait facility in Adelaide. The state-of-the-art 3D Biomechanics laboratories, fully-equipped with Qualisys motion capture technology, instrumented treadmill and in-ground force platforms, provides both research services for industry, as well as clinical services for patients. Clinical podiatry, biomechanics and lower limb strength and conditioning services are also provided onsite, providing a unique ability to research real-world populations.
Overview of Role
As an Exercise Scientist at The Biomechanics Lab, you will have two main roles:
- Oversee our Force Analysis process (muscle strength testing and instrumented gait analysis).
- Assist in the design and delivery of strength and rehabilitation programs for patients.
This is an exciting role where you will work in a team of exercise scientists, biomechanists and podiatrists to provide state-of-the-art gait analysis services to patients attending The Biomechanics Lab. Individual opportunities will be provided to develop your own research profile, with a pathway towards post-graduate studies strongly supported.
This role would suit a highly skilled and motivated individual with a strong back ground in human movement, biomechancis, exercise science or exercise physiology. Podiatrists and physiotherapists are welcome to apply, but please note this is not a clinical position. Accredidation with either ESSA or ASCA is highly regarded (but not essential).
- Oversee muscle strength testing services provides at The Biomechanics Lab. This includes patient testing using the AxIT system, data processing and report generation.
- Provide Force Analysis services of patients walking, running, jumping or changing direction.
- Assist in providing biomechanical services to our research and development industry clients.
- Assist in data collection and processing of our internal research program.
For the appropriately qualified candidate, there is also an opportunity to contribute to our in-house strength and conditioning services. Likewise there is an opportunity to expand in-house physiology testing services for patients if this is an interest.
Essential skills and qualifications
- An under-graduate degree in Human Movement, Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, Physiotherapy or Podiatry.
- Analytic and decisive thinking with the ability to prioritise, work independently and mange time efficiently.
- Strong organizational skills and a high-level of attention to detail.
- Ability to represent The Biomechanics Lab in a professional manner and handle confidential information.
Desirable skills and qualifications
- Previous experience in muscle strength testing.
- Previous experience in use of force platforms and 3d motion capture technology
For a confidential discussion, please contact Dr Chris Bishop PhD at The Biomechanics Lab on (08) 7130 0130.
To apply for the role, please send by email to email@example.com:
- A copy of your CV (including relevant educational background and work experience and names of two referees)
- A copy of your academic transcript
- A one page cover letter explaining your interest in Exercise Science and Biomechanics, the skills you have and why you would be perfect for this role.
Closing date: COB 5pm Friday 21st Feb 2020
Only exceptional candidates will be contacted for interview.
Dr Chris Bishop (PhD)
Director | The Biomechanics Lab